1984 Anti Sikh Riots: Rajiv Gandhi's revenge! India's shame!
Trigger. On 31 Oct 1984, Late Mrs. Indira Gandhi, then PM of India, was murdered by her Sikh bodyguards.
Nepotism. On the same day, her elder son Late Mr. Rajiv Gandhi was elected as India's youngest Prime Minister at age of 45 years! What was his political qualification to lead the biggest democracy of the World? On what basis he was offered that designation? Only God knows!
Riots. With effect from 01 Nov 1984, Congress activists started killing innocent Sikhs. This massacre continued till 04 Nov 1984. Then Prime Minister, President Mr. Gyani Zail Singh, Police Force, Armed Forces along with whole nation just silently watched.
Total Silence. No one came forward. No opposition from the Police Force or other security forces was initiated. Not a single Non-Sikh killed. They were dragged on roads. Anyone wearing turban was targeted.
34 Years Later
A Verdict after 34 Years! Times of India on 18 Dec 18, printed headlines mentioning about the Delhi High Court's verdicts on Monday, which held Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in a 1984 Anti-Sikh riot case and sentenced him to life imprisonment for criminal conspiracy, promoting enmity and acts against communal harmony.
The conviction of five others former Congress councillor Balwan Khokhar, retired naval officer Captain Bhagmal, Girdhari Lal, former MLAs Mahender Yadav and Kishan Khokhar-- were also upheld by the high court. A bench of Justice S. Muralidhar and Justice Vinod Goel overturned a trial court judgment that had acquitted the Congress leader (Why was he acquitted? The Only Judge knows!).
The verdict was announced against Mr. Sajjan Kumar for his role during riots on 01 Nov 1984, when innocent Sikhs were butchered and killed. Burning tyres were kept around their necks as if they had conspired and murdered Mrs. Indira Gandhi on 31 Oct 1984.
With this verdict, few questions are still unanswered even after 34 years of this massacre:-
1. Mr. Rajiv Gandhi was made Prime Minister of India on 31 Oct 1984, the same day when Mrs. Indira Gandhi was assassinated. Was Mr. Sajjan Kumar (as mere Councillor then), more powerful than PM of India and could alone steer the riots and massacred without knowledge of Mr. Rajiv Gandhi?
2. Gandhi & Sajjan Relations? Was Mr. Sajjan Kumar more traumatized than Mr. Rajiv Gandhi, for the murder of Mrs. Indira Gandhi? Was he related to Mrs. Indira Gandhi in any way?
3. PM Unaware? Are we trying to say that Mr. Rajiv Gandhi as PM or Mr. Gyani Zail Singh as President, were not at all aware of riots and therefore, not at all responsible for such large scale massacres?
4. As per existing laws, when any wrongdoings take place, then the silence of the person witnessing it, makes that person equally responsible for the crime. So how come, Mr. Rajiv Gandhi, Mr. Gyani Zail Singh, other sitting MPs/ MLA's of Delhi and Govt Officials are not equal culprits as compared to Mr. Sajjan Kumar?
5. If we all know within our hearts that Mr. Rajiv Gandhi was directly involved in the 1984 Riots, then why we all hesitate in naming him as the culprit for the crime even after 34 years from the massacre? Perfect and Live Example of Hollywood Movie's Title "Silence of the Lambs"!
6. Awarded after Riots? How come Mr. Sajjan Kumar was elevated from Councillor to Member of Parliament? (Sajjan Kumar's first election victory was as a municipal councilor in 1977. He won his first Lok Sabha election from the Outer Delhi constituency and retained it in two subsequent elections.)
7. Example for Future? Are we trying to set an example, for our future politicians and generations to do whatever they feel like and somehow get away "Clean" due to their elevated positions in Indian Politics?
8. Murder of Ms. Jessica Lal and Nirbhaya rape case created with such revolution in the whole country that powerful culprits were brought to books and justice was awarded to victims' families. What happened to this country in case of 1984 riots? Don't families of 1984 riot victims need any sort of justice?
9. Genocide? During 1993 and 2002 Riots both sides of rioters got killed. But in this case, only Sikhs were massacred and not a single Hindu was killed. So will it be wrong to call this as Genocide?
10. Insects' Life. Why it took 34 years to give a verdict for the 1984 Anti Sikh Riots? Is there no value left for human life? Mr. Rajiv Gandhi died in 1990, Were we waiting for Mr. Sajjan Kumar and other culprits to die due to their natural death?
11. Afraid of Names. Although Mr. Rajiv Gandhi and Mr. Gyani Zail Singh are no more. But what stops the judicial system from naming them as true culprits with respect to their exact role as office bearers?
12. What is the guarantee that Congress will not repeat such incidents in case any other member of Gandhi family is assassinated by any member of a particular community or religion in future?
13. The Aim of Riots? The security guards, who assassinated Mrs. Indira Gandhi were killed on the spot. So what exactly, did Congress sympathizers achieve by killing other innocent Sikhs, who were not at all involved in the conspiracy?
14. No Challenge! All Govt officials are supposed to take orders from seniors. But when any wrong orders are given to them, then there are provisions to handle such situations too. How come not a single official from police and paramilitary forces present at the scene of the incident, protested against the orders of senior Congress politicians when hundreds of Sikhs were killed right in front of their eyes? Is this not a perfect case of dereliction of duty?
15. Sleepy Judiciary. When courts take so many years to give the verdict on one case then how come judges go on leave in the month of June and December, every year? Why cannot they just give away those leaves and work overtime to finish off pending cases? Why cannot judges work beyond official working hours on a daily basis? Are they not responsible to deliver the required results?
16. Silent Media. How come media was quiet over this issue? They can work overtime to undertake all types of investigations on cases about which Bollywood celebrity dating whom! But what stopped or stops them to investigate this case too?
17. Councillor's Powers? With Prime Minister and President, who had been mere spectators when a politician equivalent to Councillor could conduct massacre on the whole community? DID WE FAIL AS A NATION?
18. Present Punjab? If Sikhs were victimized by Congress workers in 1984 then why are they electing congress party in Punjab state elections?
19. Actual Fault Line. Why Late Mrs. Indira Gandhi was murdered? Was she not at fault of hurting the religious sentiments of Sikhs, by directing Army to flush out militants? When 1992 Babri Masjid resulted in large scale massacre, then why was she casual about her sins.
20. Operation Blue Star. Was storming of Army inside Golden Temple to kill militants, the only option?
21. Intelligence Inputs? Was Late Mrs. Indira Gandhi not advised regarding a possible threat to her life, due to Operation Blue Star? She was aware of possible threats.
22. Actual Logic. What was the logic of killing innocent Sikhs, residing in Delhi and nowhere connected to the incident? Just because the killer of Indira Gandhi were Sikh guards?
23. Was killing of culprits not enough, and mass killing was required?
24. PM's Intentions. What was Late Mr. Rajiv Gandhi trying to prove, by silently watching or managing this killing of innocent Sikhs?
25. Return Gift? We all know about the sacrifices of the Sikh community for this country. Sikhs are supposed to be bravest of all. One Army regiment has been named this community called "Sikh Regiment". Is this the way we reward the brave but silent community?
26. Sikhs are very hard working community and as a result of this in the agriculture industry, the Punjab state has been called the "Wheat Bowl" of India. Is this how we acknowledged their contribution?
The Sikhs who were massacred in 1984 riots, didn't vote for Congress then, to get killed for someone's personal grudges against a community. Neither they paid taxes to get late and half portion of protection and justice they deserve from the Govt officials, who actually get monthly salaries from their hard earned money paid as taxes.
Instead of pushing uncomfortable questions under carpet someone should answer them.
Lastly, one very important question arises.
Are we proud citizens of an Impotent Country? A country, where office bearers and people prefer to remain silent towards massacre against one whole community.
Here's a Humble Request to you readers. If you have reached this far in our article, we assume that you somewhat agree with our opinions. We have put in our heart and soul into researching this issue and compiling it in the form of an article. If you appreciate our effort, please subscribe to our website through your email ID by clicking the Subscribe button below (in the footer of this page). We also request you to like and share our article on all social media platforms. If you have anything to say, then please leave a comment below or on our Facebook Page Explicit Facts at https://www.facebook.com/ ExplicitFacts0, so that we may improve our work in the future.